Thursday, February 26, 2009

Bugging out...

Wouldn't you know... I was supposed to leave here early Friday morning for my afternoon flight out of Sioux Falls, but there's a winter storm invading! Luckily, the worst of it is north of I-90, my main travel route. However, the temp.s are going to be way below zero on Thursday night. A little bit of "wintry mix" fell last night. So I'm leaving a day early--TODAY, in just a couple hours--so I can travel in the warmest part of the day today and get to Sioux Falls in plenty of time, as safely as possible.

I always have a hard time with goodbyes, and the suddenness of my departure makes this whole thing kind of weird. I have already said a few, and I'll leave a note for everyone in the Lakota Studies department, but I won't get to leave the way I imagined. I know this is okay; it just feels strange.

In the past few days, I have reminded myself that I will be back... so I don't have to worry about something I didn't get to see, or something I don't yet understand, or someplace I want to be again, or someone I want to talk with again. I don't know when or how, but I will be back!

Goodbye, Rosebud. I will miss you like heck! And yet I'm SO excited to go home!

Here are a couple last photos of one of my favorite places here--taken at Grass Mountain on a nicer day. :)


I'll post a note when I get to Sioux Falls...

Ciao from the prairie,
Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment